How To Show Up For Life’s Big Moments
Life’s big moments; the big moments that alter your course, the big moments that give your life meaning. The big moments about success, failure, and lessons learned. And they can happen out of nowhere. Then what? Today, we plug into the events that give your life meaning.
Mentioned In This Podcast
– American Epic (PBS)
– The Recording Lathe (Wired)
– Muscial Artist Jack White
– National Alliance To End Homelessness
– The Steven Speilberg Story (@evanluzi)
– Bring Calm To The Storm | Episode 10
– Free Podcast Worksheet
How To Show Up For Life’s Big Moments (Sumary Notes)
In the 1920s, The Recording Lathe, a portable record making machine, toured the country … capturing a vast mosaic of music, the likes of which had never been heard. And from that technology, that tour, musical legends were born.
The PBS documentary, American Epic, sought to recreate that period in time, to celebrate the cultural diversity found in our music. From world famous artists to people I’ve never heard of, they all showed up to record songs on what many called, the purest sound they had ever heard.
How so? The record was cut as they sang, there was no such thing as post production back then, nor for these artists, performing for this project.
The doc was hosted and co-produced by musical artist Jack White, and during an interview he says
“So that’s like going to church, getting on your best clothes and going to church for this moment to happen”.
Jack was giving us advice on how to show up for the big moments of life, even if he didn’t know it at the time.
Show Up For The Big Moments Of Life – Our Second Story
A bunch of us had decided to volunteer at a homeless shelter on Thanksgiving Day, this is going back like ten, fifteen years. And so there I was, terrified. I mean I’ve seen A LOT in life, very little scares me. But THAT, I was crazy nervous.
My job was to simply find a homeless person, serve him coffee, then sit down and talk to him or her. The place was packed with a lot of folks in need. Two cups of coffee in hand, that’s when I spotted him … a young man, small in stature, about 5 foot 5 I would guess, frantically pacing with a HUGE back pack on.
I learned a lot that day about showing up for the big moments of life. Because, you know, showing up for the big moments of life includes the not so easy moments of life.
Show Up For The Big Moments Of Life – Our Third Story
He applied to the prestigious USC film school, which includes such Alumni as Ron Howard, John SIngleton, and Brian Grazer … just to mention a few. But his 2.0 grade point average was a problem. And so, predictably, he got a rejection letter.
Undeterred, he tried again … and then again. Three rejection letters in total! He was not going to USC Film School. That much was clear. But he would not be denied.
He eventually landed a gig as an unpaid clerical intern on the Universal lot, but the thing is, he couldn’t get a pass! So basically, he had to sneak on the lot every day just to work free! But while there, he learned a ton and even made a short film, a short film that would open a lot of doors for this aspiring filmmaker.
His name? Steven Spielberg.
Show Up For The Big Moments Of Life – Your (3) Point Strategy
- Learn How To Stay In The Moment. Fully staying in the moment looks like what for you? Not staying in the moment, looks like what for you? Don’t rush past these two questions. Show Up For The Big Moments Of Life
- Learn How To Connect To The Moment. How many times in your busy life, do you rush past or through the big moments, the little moments, the things that truly matter? How many times? Connecting requires slamming on the brakes for the here and now. Show Up For The Big Moments Of Life
- Learn How To Cherish The Moment. Which is about making the most of each moment. It’s the polar opposite of Rest Stop Living, it’s connecting at an entirely new level, without ourselves, with the people around us. Show Up For The Big Moments Of Life
The weight drops … and all the mechanisms magically come to life. Gears and tubes and lights. The recording head floats downward until it lands on the vinyl. There wont be any do overs. Not today. The light in other room turns green … its time. His or her or their moment, it’s here, no more waiting … the big moment has arrived and with that, the recording session begins.
And so it is with you. The big moments, the important moments, the little moments, they’re everywhere, all the time. Show up for the big moments of life, all the moments of life.
But There Is A Price To Pay
As in, there are things that will get in the way. So if you want to truly show up for the big moments of your life, here are the three dragons you’ll need to slay.
- Expectations- get rid of them, they’ll only get in the way. Seriously. Expectations will take you out of the moment each and every time. Dump the expectations to show up for the big moments of life.
- Urgency Addiction. Meaning, there will always be good excuses for missing out on life’s moments. Stop buying the excuses that you’re selling. Stop fighting fires all the time to show up for the big moments of life.
- Drop the armor. Deal with your fears. You can’t show up if you’re armored up. Showing up requires leaving your fears and ego at the door. Get vulnerable, be transparent, to show up for the big moments of life.
Are you willing to show up for the big moments in life that will never happen again?
Here’s Your Homework
Grab an index card and give yourself a letter grade for how often you (#1) Stay in the moment, (#2) Connect to the moments, and (#3) Cherish the moments. A letter grade for each one, so three letter grades.
Now you have baseline for how skilled you are in showing up for the big moments of life!
“So that’s like going to church, getting on your best clothes and going to church for this moment to happen”. —— Jack White